The lights began to flicker, then a popping sound could be heard around computers, air conditioners and in walls by the teachers and staff. Smoke was also reportedly seen coming from sockets.
At that point the school began evacuating the premises to the front of the school going toward Immaculate Conception Church along Wisconsin Street. Meanwhile, other staff members were calling emergency personnel.
With dismissal set for 3:40 p.m., for students who leave by cars or walk home. The first buses arrived at their normal 3:48 p.m. time.
"I want to give great recognition to the faculty and staff of this school. They kept their cool and handled the situation very well," said Principal Linda Wilkerson. "The children also handled the situation very well. They remained calm as we evacuated, which is amazing, especially for the little ones."
It was once the school was outside that they saw the problem. The electrical wire connected to the school had popped off on to the ground, literally. Sparks were seen flying from the wire.
Entergy arrived on the scene at about 4:20 p.m. and began assessing and working on the problem. By about 5:40 p.m. the school was rewired and electricity was reestablished.
A walk through was conducted by electrical contractors; school employees, including Wilkerson; and school board officials, including District 3 Representative Lynn Shamsie. It was then that all realized that what could have been a bad situation turned out relatively fine.
During the evacuation, students were forced to leave their belongings in the classroom. Their things will be waiting for them tomorrow morning on a day school officials hope will be much calmer.