To be eligible for pre-kindergarten, a child must be four years old by September 30, 2009. To register for kindergarten, a child must be five years old by September 30, 2009.
The following documents must be presented at the time of Pre-School Round-Up:
1. The Original Full Birth Certificate: A certified copy of the full birth certificate must be presented at the time of pre-school round-up. A xerox copy of the birth certificate will not be accepted. A birth record from a hospital or birth card cannot be accepted. If the child does not have a full birth certificate, one may be obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics for a fee of $15.00. There is a Vital Records Center located at the Hammond Health Unit on Club Deluxe Road. Phone (985) 543-4165.
2. The Current Immunization Record: All persons entering school in Tangipahoa Parish for the first time, including pre-kindergarten and kindergarten, at the time of pre-school round-up shall present satisfactory evidence of immunity to or immunization against vaccine-preventable diseases according to a schedule approved by the office of public health, Department of Health and Hospitals, or shall prevent evidence of an immunization program in progress. A current immunization record as documented on a Health Department MCH 14 Immunization Certificate is the preferred record of documentation for the Tangipahoa Parish School System.
3. The Social Security Card: An original social security card must be presented at the time of pre-school round-up. If the child does not have a social security card, a form may be obtained from the Social Security Office in Hammond. The Tangipahoa Parish School Board adopted the Social Security Card requirement since the child's social security number will be used as the student identification number.
4. Verification of Residence: Parents/legal guardians must give proof at the time of pre-school round-up of legal residence, i.e. Entergy meter or Dixie Electric meter deposit receipt with actual name of parents and location of residence. Consideration may be given where a single parent may be residing with a relative. On-site visitation of legal domiciled residence to verify that parents/legal guardians reside at the designated address may be completed where deemed necessary. (911 address is required).
The dates of the respective school registration are as follows:
Independence Elementary; Loranger Elementary; O. W. Dillon Elementary; Spring Creek Elementary
Amite Elementary; Chesbrough Elementary; Roseland Elementary
If you have any questions about the exact times, please call the individual school for confirmation.
*Some pre-kindergarten classes are offered at these schools. (Due to funding and space issues, limited slots are available at all sites).
No child will be registered at pre-school round-up without the following documents:
1. Birth Certificate - certified copy
2. Immunization Record - MCH 14 (White Card) preferred
3. Social Security card
4. Verification of residence (Including 911 address)